Thursday, July 3, 2008

Summer Lovin', havin' a blast!

Of all the summers I can remember, two have stood out as the best ever: the summer after freshman year of high school and the summer after freshman year of college. Granted, Stephen took me to the Dominican Republic the summer after 11th grade, but Nick had also broken up with me weeks before so that put a damper on my summer.

But these two summers...they were something special. Summer '02 was the "Golden Summer": living at the pool day and night, Dan coaching, the Powells and co. lifeguarding, still being excited about first kisses and new boyfriends, living at the Plummers, having no responsibilities, snorting sugar to freak out Dan, water polo, beaver, and team breakfasts. It was absolutely wonderful.

Summer '06 was equally amazing, despite having to take summer school and balance (for a time) two jobs. Potbelly, I will always proclaim, has forever changed me. Life revolved around "the line", "the back" and "the floor". My best friends that summer and the guy I was seeing were all my coworkers. I wanted to go to work every day, and on my days off I was almost inevitably there helping close so we could leave to play pool earlier. And now, a year and a half later, that spark hasn't died. I saw Colin yesterday after a year of virtual silence, and it was like the last year hadn't happened (minus our intense excitement at seeing each other). Without a missed step it was back to cruising around in his Ford Element, laughing about our friends, and sharing hopes and dreams for the future. He really is an incredibly guy (no longer that 18 yr old boy I dated!) and it was easy to remember why we were so head-over-heels 2 years ago. I wish him all the best in the world.

Here's to hoping that the second half of summer '08 will be just as enchanting. Que viva nicaraguita, y que viva Potbelly!

No comments: