Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Beginning

Back in high school and the beginning of college, I had one of those angsty, drama-filled online journals. I deleted it because it was an unhealthy way to vent my emotions and since then have matured leaps and bounds spiritually, emotionally and intellectually. Now that college is coming to an end - and quite a bit earlier than I originally anticipated - I figured why not start up a new blog again at this rather important juncture in my life. Facebook stalking Jeannie might have also played a part in inspiring this blog, but sshhh. Anyway, big things to think about right now:
  • Graduating college! In 2 months and 1 week there will be a Bachelor of Arts degree in Latin American and Caribbean Studies in my possession.
  • Living in Nicaragua! I'll be working with Manna Project International and immersing myself in several of their awesome initiatives being carried out in three main locations in or right around Managua. Stay tuned for either a separate travel blog or this one morphing into a Manna propaganda machine.
  • Getting back in shape! Really it's a premeditated measure because I'll get fat and lazy back in Nica (although I'll have a wicked tan 24/7)
  • Getting back into spiritual shape! More prayer time is needed with the Big Man upstairs.
In terms of graduating...what I'm going to miss the most about not being in college, besides the semi-carefree collegiate lifestyle, is being intellectually challenged. There's something exhilarating about being surrounded by intelligent, curious and enthusiastic peers and being guided by an equally enthusiastic and wise professor. What's especially fun about taking development classes this semester is that the theories and ideas being presented are manifested in the milieu of real-world experiences I've had in the Philippines and Nicaragua. Time and again I want to chime in and say, "Yea! For example, when I was in _____ we _____ which is just like what _____ theory is saying" but have to hold it back because that wouldn't contribute to class discussion...that's just bragging. Still, it's exciting to click theories with practical examples.

With every day that passes I'm more and more sure that Global Health is exactly what I want to do with my life. I'm still not sure in what capacity I'll ultimately be dealing with the issue - it's either MPH, MBA or PhD - but it almost doesn't matter to me as long as I'm working in development. It's challenging, it's discouraging, it's dirty and it's probably not going to be eliminated within my lifetime, but there's something indescribable pulling me towards this cause. I love being a young idealist.

I've decided to also keep track of my food and exercise regime on here to be somewhat accountable for what I'm doing and to see where my weaknesses are. You can pretty much ignore these parts of the entry if you'd like.
  • Food: 2 mini-bagels w/ lite cream cheese and strawberry jam (abt 340 total); 1 OJ and pack of pretzels (abt 440 total); 1 chicken leg, spinach salad, 2 small slices baguette (abt 300 total); 1 tall iced caramel latte (abt 220 calories); 1 4-piece chicken fingers w/ fries and honey mustard (abt 700 calories) = abt 2000 calories <== 500 calories off target. Home-cooked meals FTW!
  • Exercise: none! uuugh. Was busy from 10 am until 10 pm tonight. Will make it up tomorrow.
Well that's kind of depressing to read, but at the same time a good motivator for the rest of the week and school year.

Until next time.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

OK...just found your blog and I'm so excited to read it!