Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Un Dia Tranquilo

Today was a wonderful, lazy day. I woke up late, made a delicious brunch, got some errands done, exercised, saw Jean, made a delicious dinner, then went to volunteer. I'm dead tired though, probably a combination of working out + volunteering with toddlers. But errands were fun today, because I bought all my graduation regalia and claimed my "You know you're desperate when getting lucky means finding a good parking space" mug from the Miracle Marathon silent auction. Volunteering was also a lot of fun because we really made headway with the kids and they were soooo well-behaved today.

Working out was productive: I managed to knock out 4 miles on the treadmill and do some quad strengthening on the Arctrainer. Overall, according to the machines at least, I burned about 630 calories. Only downside is that I desperately need new sneakers because these ones are giving me blisters. My meals ended up pretty decent, too:
Brunch: spinach salad; 2 egg omelette with tomato, green pepper, onion and spinach (200); kielbasa (300); 2 pieces of baguette (100); passion iced tea made by the roomie = 600-700
Dinner: one chicken wing basted with olive oil and lemon pepper (290); about 1 cup rice (245 cals); oriental seasoned vegetables (45) = 580
Snacks: carrots and lite ranch; grapes; small bagel w/ PB and lite cream cheese = 300ish
Total: about 1580! Doing better, which is always good. What's going to suck is going home, but it just means I need to use our treadmill downstairs more.

The one thing that's been on my mind, especially after talking to Ryan last night, is la Maximo (term used to refer to our friends in Nica as well as the colonia itself). I think I'm finally coming out of my stupor over the whole experience and am realizing that no, Maximo is not the end all be all of Nicaragua. I also realized how much I hated the gossip, because you get sucked into it so easily and you love to join in but it ultimately just causes trouble - which, of course, is what it does everywhere. But still...whether it be that it was more noticeable in an unfamiliar environment, or people are less subtle about it there, or what have you, but it seemed particularly poisonous and alluring in Maximo. In fact, if you have some free time go read Life is Hard by Roger Lancaster, because the entire book is written about Maximo (under a pseudonym) and he dedicates at least one chapter to gossip. In the end this realization is encouraging, because now I know for sure that I'm going back for Nicaragua, not for Maximo.

"Si la patria es pequeña, uno grande la sueña." - Ruben Dario

Lots of other stuff bouncing around in my mind, but I'm officially beat. Buenas noches.

No comments: